Provide porter services
Unit Information about the SITHACS005 training material in this resource
This unit describes the performance outcomes, skills and knowledge required to provide porter services in commercial accommodation establishments. It requires the ability to check and plan for daily arrivals, assist guests with luggage, and provide ancillary services for guests.
The unit applies to frontline service personnel in commercial accommodation venues. Porter services are usually associated with dedicated bell desk or concierge roles in larger venues. In smaller venues, reception or other staff provide these services. People working under supervision undertake this function, though the unit may also be relevant to owner-operators of small businesses.
Unit mapping information
SITHACS204 Provide porter services
Licensing, legislative, regulatory or certification requirements
No occupational licensing, certification or specific legislative requirements apply to this unit at the time of publication.
Foundation skills essential to performance are explicit in the performance criteria of this unit of competency.
Unit sector or competency field
Prerequisite, co-requisite or interdependent assessment of units
Skills must be demonstrated in an operational commercial accommodation environment. This can be:
- an industry workplace
- a simulated industry environment
Assessment must ensure access to:
- luggage and luggage moving equipment
- industry-realistic systems or documentation for managing the movement and storage of luggage in an accommodation venue
guests with whom the individual can interact; these can be:
- guests in an industry workplace who are assisted by the individual during the assessment process; or
- individuals who participate in role plays or simulated activities, set up for the purpose of assessment, in a simulated industry environment operated within a training organisation
Assessors must satisfy the Standards for Registered Training Organisations’ requirements for assessors; and:
- have worked in industry for at least three years where they have applied the skills and knowledge of this unit of competency